Part-Time Worship Pastor
About Us: Black Forest Chapel (www.blackforestchapel.org) is a friendly, welcoming, Jesus-centered, Bible-focused, nondenominational church nestled in the Black Forest near Colorado Springs, Colorado. We are dedicated to fostering a community of believers growing in Christ-likeness through teaching and discipleship rooted in biblical truth. Our congregation of about 120 multigenerational weekly attendees cherishes the timeless significance of traditional hymns and praise songs in our worship service and finds joy in modern worship music as well. Biblically true lyrics and singable melodies are important to us. We currently have several enthusiastic amateur musicians serving on our worship team, and we are seeking a part-time Worship Pastor to lead this important ministry.
About our Worship Ministry: Our worship ministry is based on Colossians 3:16: “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
We consider corporate singing to be the primary expression of musical worship in our weekly gatherings, and the purpose of our worship ministry is to use the musical gifts and skills God has given us to bring Him glory and praise. We seek to provide an atmosphere for the people gathered at BFC each Sunday in which they can:
- Be aware of the presence and love of God
- Praise the Lord in spirit and truth through singing
- Prepare for and respond to the teaching of God’s Word.
Role Overview: As our Worship Pastor, you will play a vital role in setting the tone of worship at BFC. Your key responsibilities will be to lead our musical worship and shepherd our team of musicians. The ideal candidate is a skilled musician with a heart for Jesus who can lead a ministry team well, and who emphasizes worshiping God over performance.
- Select hymns and worship songs that resonate with the culture and style of our church.
- Coordinate and lead the musical elements of our Sunday worship service.
- Plan and implement music for special events (Christmas Eve, Easter, and occasional worship nights).
- Direct and shepherd our team of musicians, nurturing their musical and spiritual growth.
- Plan and organize rehearsals and ensure team members are well-prepared.
- Collaborate with our lead pastor to create cohesive and meaningful times of worship that support the teaching.
- Foster a warm, welcoming environment that encourages participation in corporate worship and invites new musicians to the team.
- A follower of Jesus Christ who has an abiding personal relationship with Him.
- Alignment with the doctrines, values, and beliefs of Black Forest Chapel and a willingness to become an active member who calls BFC his church home.
- Ability to lead corporate worship in a manner that facilitates worship and focuses on God, rather than a performance or concert focused on the music.
- A strong understanding of and appreciation for traditional hymns and praise songs and theologically sound contemporary worship music. Help us honor our historical roots while appreciating the best of the modern. Examples of our style include artists such as Chris Tomlin, Sovereign Grace, City Alight, and Shane & Shane.
- A seeker of excellence (not perfection) and proficient in singing on stage while playing either acoustic guitar or keyboard, reading music, and using chord charts and lead sheets.
- Strength in arranging music to suit the available musicians and the style/theme of the worship service.
- A servant leader and teammate who demonstrates humility and values each member of the team by accepting their musical capabilities and encouraging and helping them to grow. Includes the ability to recruit and evaluate new musicians.
- A heart for providing pastoral care and a desire to shepherd musicians in their walk with Christ.
- Skill in interpersonal communication and organization to connect with individuals of diverse musical backgrounds and abilities.
- Ideally, a minimum of two years of experience leading a team of worship musicians, including the use of Planning Center and CCLI.
- Excellent references that can testify to your skills and leadership ability as well as your character.
- Part-time position with 10-15 hours per week (flexible schedule).
- Required: lead worship three out of four Sunday mornings, 8:30 am to 11:30 am (rehearsal plus about 20-30 minutes of music during the service), plus a 2-hour mid-week rehearsal as needed to work with the upcoming Sunday’s worship team.
- The remaining hours are spent selecting music, attending a weekly staff meeting, meeting with team members, updating and maintaining software and equipment, preparing for upcoming services, and planning special events.
- $17K – $20K/year, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply:
Please view our past worship services at: www.blackforestchapel.org/sermons.
If you feel you would be a good fit for this position and share our vision of biblical worship, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest, references, and if possible, a sample of your musical work (e.g., a video of leading worship) to our Ministry Assistant, Katrina McAllister, at email@example.com.To Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org