First Baptist Church
Salary/Range: $60,000 - $80,000
Senior Pastor Job Description
First Baptist Church
To apply, Please go to fbcsterling.co/apply
- The pastor is to be the spiritual leader of the church. He is responsible to the Lord and to the church to proclaim the gospel, teach the Bible, engage in pastoral care, and provide supervisory leadership in all areas.
- Communicate a comprehensive understanding of the Bible and Christian theology through effective preaching and teaching consistent with the church’s Statement of Faith.
- Study the Bible, pray and commit to listening for the Holy Spirit’s leading on a consistent basis.
- Provide, by word and presence, an empathetic understanding of, and concern for, people in the joys of life, as well as the crises and transitions, giving pastoral assistance and guidance where appropriate and feasible.
- Motivate and support parishioners in discovering and using their ministry and spiritual gifts, not only in the life of the church, but in their personal lives.
- Seek to lead people to make decisions for Christ and encourage their commitment to, and participation in, the local church.
- Lead members in turning vision into reality.
- Provide opportunities for individuals, couples, families and groups to enter into healing relationships.
- Accountable to First Baptist Church, who calls him, with special accountability to the deacon council which determines the policy and personnel for the church.
- Accountable to fellow staff members as a team and the congregation as a family for the total ministry of the local church life and the mission to the community and the world.
- Accountable to the denomination, region, and national leaders and ecumenical groups, for meaningful participation in programs and events and the support of the same.
- Preaching and worship oversight.
- Administration of ordinances (Baptism, Communion).
- Officiate at weddings and funerals.
- Teaching (membership class, Bible studies, etc.).
- Training leaders.
- Premarital counseling.
- Biblical counseling of church members when applicable.
- Visitation (evangelism, homes, hospital, nursing homes).
- Ministry to bereaved church members.
- Establish regular office hours.
- Develop effective working relationships with other ministerial and office staff, council members, and church members actively involved in leading or managing ministry activities.
- Schedule weekly staff and planning meetings.
- Attend regularly scheduled church council meetings.
- Assist officers, boards and committees with long-range and short-term planning and execution of their tasks by consulting, advising and evaluating.
Personal Care, Growth and Recreation:
- Maintain a consistent personal devotional and prayer life.
- Take personal time (rest, recreation, family interaction, pursuit of hobbies, etc.).
- Schedule allotted vacation each year and two days off each week – vacation time, paid holidays, sick leave, bereavement, etc. are addressed in the First Baptist Church Personnel Policy & Employee Handbook.
- Seek educational opportunities to refresh skills and grow a closer relationship with God.
- Participate in regional and national programs, events and activities.
- Cooperate and participate with other local churches in appropriate ecumenical efforts.