Grounds and Landscaping Manager
We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic and a desire to live and work in a close community to serve as the Grounds and Landscaping Manager. We are passionate about our mission statement and are looking for a like-minded person who is willing to serve alongside us. Please thoughtfully consider each part of our mission statement, job description, and description of our ministry and community before applying.
To inspire Christ-like change through Outdoor Adventure, Authentic Relationships, and Biblical Truth.
Title: Grounds and Landscaping Manager
This position is responsible for maintaining the property from the doorways of buildings out and ensuring the grounds are ready for guest use. This includes performing the following tasks or managing those who do: fertilizing, irrigating, mowing, leaf blowing, ground aeration, weed eating/weeding, applying pesticides and herbicides, road and walkway maintenance, managing flower beds according to an approved landscaping plan, data entry for physical assets and tasks, trash management, and more. This is a management role responsible for leading a year-round crew, summer staff, and short-term volunteer work crews.
Glorieta is located 20 miles Southeast of Santa Fe, NM on Interstate 25. The property is 2400 acres consisting of a 400-acre campus with 205 buildings and approximately 3000 beds. The campus includes approximately 4 miles of paved roads, 4 irrigated turf fields, a 3-acre lake, and an 11-acre prayer garden, all at an elevation of 7500 ft.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Proven success as a manager in a similar type of role
- Experience in turf management preferably in a commercial or recreational setting
- Landscape maintenance in a recreational, institutional, or commercial setting
- Knowledge of or experience maintaining landscapes in a high desert climate and ecosystem, including native grasses, shrubs, trees, and wildflowers
- Tree care and removal including chainsaw work
- Medium to large equipment operation including, snow plows, skid steers, forklift, backhoe, and, small engines
- General knowledge or experience in maintenance or handyman skills, including plumbing, welding, carpentry, electrical, or small engine repair
- Thorough understanding of safety regulations and precautions, including OSHA standards for the field
- Ability to provide effective orientations and continuing training to minimize accidents and injuries
The “ideal” candidate will have or be:
- A personal relationship with Christ that permeates all aspects of their life
- Several years of experience in leadership or management
- Ability to communicate well with team members, staff, and guests
- A passion and vision for making grounds and landscape contribute to the mission and vision of the organization
- A natural ability or strong desire for organization and an eye for detail
- Knowledge in storing equipment, tools, and chemicals in an organized manner while adhering to safe work practices
- Understanding of the different types of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed for various tasks and how to properly use the equipment
- Ability to read, understand, and follow the manufacturer’s material for the equipment, tools, and chemicals that will be used
- Ability to uphold policies and procedures to ensure safe, efficient, and cost-effective operations
Work Context – This job will be performed primarily on-site at Glorieta Camps in New Mexico.
Community – The makeup of our community determines a large part of what it is like to live and work here. We have about 120 people who live on-site year-round, comprised of full-time staff, families, and gap-year students. Glorieta is a beautiful place with many natural resources but calls for somewhat remote living.
Travel – Possible infrequent travel to workshop training, such as, irrigation, turf management, or landscape courses.
Work Environment – Consistently outdoors, over rough terrain in all weather conditions. Will operate heavy machinery and machinery that requires caution, such as, chainsaws, snow plows, mowers, tractors, backhoes, skid steers, dump trucks, and other small engine equipment, and sharp tools.
Physical Demands – Ability to lift heavy loads up to 60 lbs. Will often walk all over the property and facilities, stand for a lengthy period of time, and regularly bend and squat to maintain equipment. Will get your hands and clothes dirty often.
Compensation – $35,568 annually plus On-site housing including utilities, medical insurance, 401(k) Retirement package after one year, and paid vacation times. See Human Resources and potential supervisor for details.
Other Duties of ALL Glorieta Staff
Glorieta operates year-round. We have guests on the premises almost every day of the year. Serving guests is our number one priority, and therefore ALL staff may participate in guest service in some capacity. Tasks may include, cleaning, facilitating group activities, general maintenance of camp property, and work projects as needed. There are often groups here on weekends, and all staff members will be required to work certain weekends as needed or on call to perform duties such as snow removal, trash pickup, or other emergency services.
This Job Description is not a complete description of all that is necessary to do your job. Also, all camp employees are expected to do what it takes to work as a team, even with other departments, to serve guests. This is not only an expectation but a value that we hold to as an organization. We will help each other get the mission done!
Learn More and Apply at Christian Career Center.To Apply: Kevin Brennfleck, email@example.com